Sunday, November 3, 2013

Yes You CAN Kiss this Cook with this November Chili

In November, I like to make chili. A few nights ago, I made a this pork tenderloin chili, and now I will share that recipe with you.


November Chili (serves about 8-12 bowls)

Ingredients: 
Pork Tenderloin (you will be using both if you buy a package that comes with two) 
1 22 oz beer (I used Stella Atrois, but you can also use other fun/nice beers) 
1-2 cans of black beans 
1-2 cans of red kidney beans 
1 can of white beans or one can of garbanzo beans 
1 can of corn (you can also use freshly cooked or grilled corn) 
1 large can of diced or peeled whole tomatoes 
3-4 jalapeños (seeds removed) 
1 yellow onion 
2 red bell peppers sliced and diced
3-4 cloves of garlic 
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup of flour

These are spices are kind of to taste/by sight - don't go overboard on any of them: 
salt 
pepper 
garlic power 
cumin
 brown sugar 
cinnamon 
oregano
rosemary
cayenne 
paprika

Directions: 
First, taken the pork tenderloins out of the package and try to trim off some of the "silver" fat sections. If you choose to leave them, I think that is also fine. Then, cut the pork into roughly 1 inch pieces. Then take those pieces and in a bowl combine the spices and sugar to dry rub the meat. Your hands will get dirty, but it is worth it. You want the pieces to be evenly covered and rubbed with the spices.

[The next step can be done in either the pot you are using for cooking (I used a Le Creuset huge round pot that can transfer from stove to oven), or you can use a pan and then transfer it to your crockpot.]

Next, lightly (LIGHTLY) dust the pork pieces with flour. In the pan you are using, add a little bit of oil and brown all sides of the meat pieces. This is about a 45-1 minute per side. This gives the meat a good sear and helps lock in those spice flavors. Don't try to brown all the meat at once, do them in batches. You can put the seared off the to the side in a big bowl or plate.

Then you want to sauté the onion, garlic, and peppers in the same oil as the meat. I added a little beer at this point to kind of de-glaze the pot. Don't remove the veggies, just add the canned beans and veggies together. Then add the bay leaf. And then add the meat back in, and pour in the beer.

I cooked mine in the oven at about 350-375 for 3 hours. It was fantastic! I had it over some plain white rice, with some sour cream and cheddar cheese. The next day, I reheated the chili on the stove on low for a few hours, even better. I have frozen the rest for now, and am looking forward to it later this month.

ENJOY! Please email me or comment if you have any questions about prep.






TA-DA! :) 


PS: I don't use crockpots anymore because they have all, at one point, turned on me. I trust my dutch oven and Le Creuset cast iron pots over something you plug in any day!



No comments:

Post a Comment